The Vineyard, Richmond
  An Online History for residents, their families and friends

 

Present number/name

Pre-1936 number/name

Pre-1893 number/name

1

1

1,Michels Place

TIMELINE

1 The Vineyard

 1771  Part of garden in front of Michels Almshouses. No house visible.
 1791 Robert Wheble took a lease on a property, probably to found a Catholic chapel. 
 1804  Miss Elizabeth Doughty leased for 21 years at £525 per annum from the Trustees of Michels Almshouses "all that messuage or tenement with garden offices and outhouses thereunto belonging as the same were in occupation of "?" spinster and also all that building adjoining thereto and now used as a catholic chapel....."
 pre-1830  A schedule of Michels investment income refers to "A messuage and large room, used as a Catholic chapel , lately demised to Thomas Howlings for 21 years from midsummer 1825."
 1842 Driver map shows 3 buildings covering site of present 1,3,5,7 The Vineyard
 1851 Census shows house occupied by Basil Francis, tavern manager, his wife and 6 children.
 1852 A deed of enfrachisement shows Michels Place in existence in 1852.  So between the end of Howlings' lease in 1846 and 1852 the old chapel and associated building was demolished and 2 new houses built and part of the previous central house (now no 5) was incorporated to make adequate space. The row of 4 was then smartened with a new common front that hides the older buildings behind.
 1861  Census: Alfred Ryall, a valet to a gentleman, and his family
 1865  Whibleys: Ryall, A.R.
 1871  Census: Sarah Ryall, lodging house keeper, 2 children and 3 lodgers
 1874  Wood: Ryall Alfred
 1881  Census: Sophia Jackson, bargeowner, and a visitor
 1891  Census: George Chapman, House builder, his wife, 3 children and a servant.
 1901  Census: E St George Williams, Living on her own means with her daughter and a servant
 1910-15  Valuation Office Survey

Description: House, garden
Occupier: Mrs Williams
Owner: Clerk to Trustees of Michel's Charity
Interest of owner: Freehold
Occupier's tenancy: 3 years from 25/12/95
Gross Value: £475
Notes: small garden, side entrance

 1911  Census: E St George Williams, Living on her own means with her daughter and a servant
 1983 Grade II listed : Early C19 terrace of 2-storey brick houses. Slate mansard roofs to parapet with dormers. Stucco door surrounds with bracketed cornice hoods to each entrance door. Nos 1 and 7 are 2 windows wide and Nos 3 and 5 are 3 windows wide.

 

Previous House
Next House
Navigation