The Vineyard, Richmond
  An Online History for residents, their families and friends

 

Present number/name

Pre-1936 number/name

Pre-1893 number/name

3

3

2,Michels Place

TIMELINE

3 The Vineyard

1771 Part of garden in front of Michels Almshouses. No house visible.
1804 Miss Doughty's lease refers to "the messuage, garden and premises in the occupation of Elizabeth Matthews" on the east of the chapel.
 1842  Driver map shows 3 buildings covering site of present 1,3,5,7 The Vineyard
 1851 Census shows the house occupied by George F Whitely, surgeon apothecary and his family.
 1852  A deed of enfrachisement shows Michels Place in existence in 1852. So between the end of Howlett's lease in 1846 and 1852 the old chapel and associated building was demolished and 2 new houses built and part of the previous central house (now no 5) was incorporated to make adequate space. The row of 4 was then smartened with a new common front that hides the older buildings behind.
 1861  Census: Marion Pamela Turnbull, an Assistant, her daughter and 3 servants.
 1865 Whibleys: Custard, W. Goss
 1871  Census: George Jones, MA without cure of souls, and a servant.
 1874 Wood: Barnett, George H.
 1881  Census: George Barnett, coachman, his wife, 4 children and 3 boarders
 1891  Census: George Barnett, warehouseman, his wife, 8 children and 2 boarders.
 1901  Census: George Barnett, coachman, his wife, 3 children and 3 boarders.
 1910-15  Valuation Office Survey

Description: House, garden
Occupier: Mrs Barnett
Owner: Clerk to Trustees of Michel's Charity
Interest of owner: Freehold
Occupier's tenancy: 3 years from 08/05/83
Gross Value: £475
Notes: outside yard

 1911  Census: Sarah Jane Barnett, widow, 2 children and 2 boarders.
 1983  Grade II listed : Early C19 terrace of 2-storey brick houses. Slate mansard roofs to parapet with dormers. Stucco door surrounds with bracketed cornice hoods to each entrance door. Nos 1 and 7 are 2 windows wide and Nos 3 and 5 are 3 windows wide.

 

Previous House
Next House
Navigation