The Vineyard, Richmond
  An Online History for residents, their families and friends

 

Present number/name

Pre-1936 number/name

Pre-1893 number/name

31

31 and 33

1 and 2 Duncan Place

TIMELINE

31/33 The Vineyard

 1771 Richardson Manor map shows plot number 387 had a cottage occupied by Edw Wheatley. The Owners were the trustees of Michels Almshouses.
 1841 This cottage,built of wood, still appears on the 1841 Driver map.
 1861  Census: 1, John Glover, Watchmaker, his wife, son, and uncle.
2, Newly Built
 1865  Whibleys: 1, Glover J., watchmk & jeweller
2, Butler, Geo
 1867 OS map shows 1 and 2 Duncan Place.
 1871  Census: John Glover, Watchmaker & finisher, his wife, son and a lodger
2, Elizabeth Gavegan, living on means supplied, lives with her son, a sergeant in the militia, his wife and 5 children.
 1881  Census:1, John Glover, Watch manufacturer, his wife, 2 nephews and a cousin
2, John Dighton, Engineer's Accountant, his wife and servant.
 1891  Census: 1, John Glover, Watch manufacturer and his wife
2, Jane Arscott, milliner, and her son.
 1901  Census: 31, Harriet Pugh, Boarding House
33 John Glover, Watch manufacturer and his wife
 1911  Census: 31, Charles Adam, Chemist (dispensing), his wife, daughter and a servant.
33,Annie Jackson Slator, widow with private means.
 1910-15  Valuation Office Survey

Description: House, garden,
Occupier:31 = C.A. Adams. 33= A J Slater
Owner: Clerk of Michel Trustees
Interest of owner: Freehold
Subordinate interest: Caroline A Glover, High House Farm, Althome Essex
Occupier's tenancy: 1 year from 1910
Gross Value: £500

 1925  Plan for garage for 33
 1972  House used for scene of the film 'The Vault of Horror'.
1994  31 and 33 combined into single house.

 

Previous House
Next House
Navigation