The Vineyard, Richmond
  An Online History for residents, their families and friends

 

Present number/name

Pre-1936 number/name

Pre-1893 number/name

5

5

3,Michels Place

TIMELINE

5 The Vineyard

 1727  First rates entry shows William Stanley occupying the house owned by the Michels Almshouses.
1771 Building in front of Michels Almshouses.
1842 Driver map shows 3 buildings covering site of present 1,3,5,7 The Vineyard. This was the largest.
1852 A deed of enfrachisement shows Michels Place in existence in 1852. So between the end of Howlett's lease in 1846 and 1852 the old chapel and associated building was demolished and 2 new houses built and part of the previous central house (now no 5) was incorporated to make adequate space. The row of 4 was then smartened with a new common front that hides the older buildings behind.
 1851 Census shows house occupied by Louisa Litchfield, Annuitant, her daughter and a servant.
 1861  Census: Emily Cockerill, her servant, and 2 visitors
 1865  Whibleys: Cockerell, Miss E.
 1871  Census: Emily Cockerill, lodging house keeper, her sister and 2 lodgers; one a barrister, the other a solicitor.
 1874 Wood: Cockerill, Mrs. E.
 1881  Census: George Lay, Solicitor, his mother, 2 sisters, 2 nephews, 2 nieces and a servant.
 1891  Census: Marian Le Patourel, and an army officer boarder
 1901  Census: Alice Bennett, her sister, brother-in-law, nephew and 3 servants
 1910-15  Valuation Office Survey

Description: House, garden
Occupier: not stated
Owner: Clerk to Trustees of Michel's Charity
Interest of owner: Freehold
Occupier's tenancy: 
Gross Value: £500

 1911  Census: John Arundel Godophin St Aubin, with private means, 3 children and a servant.
1983 Grade II listed : Early C19 terrace of 2-storey brick houses. Slate mansard roofs to parapet with dormers. Stucco door surrounds with bracketed cornice hoods to each entrance door. Nos 1 and 7 are 2 windows wide and Nos 3 and 5 are 3 windows wide.

 

Previous House
Next House
Navigation