The Vineyard, Richmond
  An Online History for residents, their families and friends

 

number/name

Pre-1936 number/name

Pre-1893 number/name

6

6

2 Portland Villas

TIMELINE

6-8 The Vineyard

 1771 Richardson Manor map shows plot no 332 owned by Crofton Ross owner of Clarence House.
 1774 Rental Survey shows the land rented to William Turner of The Hermitage. He gave land for the rebuilding of Queen Elizabeth's Almshouses.
 1842 Driver map shows no development of either The Vineyard or The Hermitage
 1850 no rate book entries for these properties implying they were only built later.
 1861  Census shows occupier as Alfred Hinton, Commercial Traveller, his wife Mary, their 3 children, his wife's sister and a servant.
 1865 OS map shows Portland Villas built as well as the new Hermitage Road.
 1865 Whibleys:  2, Tocque G.R.F.
 1865-72 George Richard F.H. Tocque, solicitor
 1871  Census: George Togue and his wife have 2 daughters and 2 servants
 1874  Wood: 2, Bromhall, Edward
 1878-1902 George Heath
 1881 Census: George Heath, labourer, his wife, father, 2 boarders and a lodger.
 1891  Census: George Heath, now the Terrace Gardens Constable, his wife and 3 boarders.
 1901  Census: George Heath, Corporation Gate Keeper and his wife, and William Ballard, Collector of Rates.
 1903-1909 Mrs Bennett
 1911 Census: Benedicta Isabelle Lucie Durrant and her 2 children. She was born in Burma but was a British subject by parentage.
 1911-12 Charles E. Durrant, M.R.C.S. Eng., L.R.C.P.Lond, physician and surgeon
 1913-1929 Miss Emma Roberts, apartments
 1930-1936 Harold Rice
 1937-1939 Mrs M. Balaam
 1940 Mrs Whyman
 1948-1951 Arthur Whyman
 1952-1956 Walter Whyman
 1957-1971 Carlos Valchera

 

Previous House
Next House
Navigation