The Vineyard, Richmond
  An Online History for residents, their families and friends


Present number/name

Pre-1936 number/name

Pre-1893 number/name



4,Michels Place


7 The Vineyard

1726 First rates entry shows William Stanley occupying the house owned by the Michels Almshouses.
1771 Building in front of Michels Almshouses.
1842 Driver map shows 3 buildings covering site of present 1,3,5,7 The Vineyard. This was the smallest.
 1851 Census shows house occupied by George Freemantle, butcher, his wife and a servant.
1852 A deed of enfrachisement shows Michels Place in existence in 1852. So between the end of Howlett's lease in 1846 and 1852 the old chapel and associated building was demolished and 2 new houses built and part of the previous central house (now no 5) was incorporated to make adequate space. The row of 4 was then smartened with a new common front that hides the older buildings behind.
 1861  Census: Harriet Turner, a School Instructress, her daughter and 1 servant.
 1865 Whibleys: Samuels C., tailor
 1871 Census lists only 3 Michels Villas. Since the occupants of the other 3 match to other records, no 4 was either empty or part of/linked to Newark House. A connecting door is still visible in a shed at the rear. A door, now hidden by kitchen cupboards, was also visible in Newark House
 1881  Census data as for 1871
 1891  Census: Edward Cliffe, tutor, and his mother
 1901  Census: Eleanor Warren and her 3 daughters.
 1910-15  Valuation Office Survey

Description: House, garden,
Occupier: Mr Taylor
Owner: Clerk of Michel Trustees
Interest of owner: Freehold
Occupier's tenancy: 21 years from 29/09/1904
Gross Value: £450

 1911 Census: Charles Duggin William Packer, Electrical contractor, and his wife.
1983 Grade II listed : Early C19 terrace of 2-storey brick houses. Slate mansard roofs to parapet with dormers. Stucco door surrounds with bracketed cornice hoods to each entrance door. Nos 1 and 7 are 2 windows wide and Nos 3 and 5 are 3 windows wide.


Previous House
Next House