The Vineyard, Richmond
  An Online History for residents, their families and friends

 

History as shown by plans submitted for Borough approval.

The archives held by the Richmond upon Thames Local Studies Department cover the records of the present-day London Borough of Richmond upon Thames, the former boroughs of Richmond and Twickenham, the Urban District Councils of Barnes, Ham, Teddington and Hampton and the various parishes that preceded them. Items from the collection span over 500 years. In particular they have available a large collection of building plans dating between 1878 and 1968.

The links below are to their online catalogue.  Since these files may be large and complex to access, you may find loading times relatively long.  However, once accessed, the files can be easily enlarged for detailed browsing.

 Address/Number

Date

Subject/Description

 St Elizabeth's RC Church

 1903

 Extension - For the Rev George Barr. Additions to Church and presbytery including top of tower, conference room, chancel and chapel

 Page 2

   

 Page 3

 Page 4 

 Michel's Almshouses

 1934

 New toilets 

 Page 2 

 Michel's Almshouses

 1956

 Proposed conversion of Michel's chapel into a residence for a nurse 

 2, Clarence House

1910

 Extension to schoolroom for Richmond Hill School

 2, Clarence House

1919

 Additions to workshop and laboratory

 2, Clarence House

 1921

 Temporary cloakroom for Richmond Hill School

  2, Clarence House

 1943   Plan for Fortnum & Mason, currently using the site as a storage facility for the duration of the war, to demolish existing buildings and erect new ones. This to be done at the cessation of hostilities. The new buildings are to be used as a bakery, chocolate manufactory, store, tailoring shop and rooms for packing tea and coffee.

 2, Clarence House

 1964   6001=reversion to private residence (approved). 11841=12 houses & new street (rejected) 12420=3 building plots, car park and change of use of house to institution (rejected)

 11, Vine House

 1899

 Alterations

 Bishop Duppa's Almshouses

 1949

  Rebuilding of war-damaged almshouses 1-10

 Queen Elizabeth's Almshouses

 1957

 Proposed rebuilding of Queen Elizabeth's Almshouses for Richmond Charities

 12 & 14

 1901

 1905

 New houses with 2 floors only

Pair of houses on Richmond Charities Estate

Page 2 

 24

1891

1895 

1895

 

 New Build showing site of Leslie Cottage

 New Build  - House, shop, office & showroom

Page 2 shows House and Shop

 24

 1895

 Amended frontage line

 Salcombe Villas

 1891

 Proposed cottages on the Vineyard House Estate

Page 2

33

1925

 Proposed garage

37

1894

 New coach house
40, British Schools

 1894

Alterations & additions

2nd page 

 40, British Schools  1904

New cloakrooms and porch

Page 2

 40, British Schools  1908

  Application for Infants School and classrooms

Page 2 

 42, Duke's Head 1911  Alterations

 45

 1894

1901

 Mount Ararat estate - new build stabling

Workmens WC for The Vineyard Stables 

45

1929

Planning Application approved for Joseph Mears Launches & Motors Ltd for alterations for lock-up garages and roofed in washing space.

47 -77

1896

Mount Ararat Estate Redevelopment

85

1905

Proposed addition 

87

1903

Proposed addition

 

Navigation