The Vineyard, Richmond
  An Online History for residents, their families and friends

 
   Present number/name Pre-1936 number / name  Pre-1893 number/name  
 No 16 No 12 2, Cambula Villas, Halford Rd
 TIMELINE

  16 The Vineyard 

 1883 99 year lease from 24/06/1881 granted by A. Chancellor of The Retreat, Richmond to Frederick Hampton, Builder at an annual rent of £7/10/-.  1883 builders lease
1883 The lease shows the plots of 1 & 2, Cambula Villas adjoining land of Queen Elizabeth's Charity and backing onto the first house on Halford road also owned by Mr F Hampton - perhaps he built all of Halford Road Map of Cambula Villas plot
 1884 Frederick Hampton of Halford House, Builder assigned the lease of both 1 & 2 Cambula Villas to Thomas Richardson of 2, Halford Road for the sum of £800 for the 2 properties. 
 1884 Mr Thomas Richardson obtained a £400 mortgage on the 2 properties from G.J.West Esq.. and Frederick Dixon Esq..   
 1888 Mr Thomas Richardson (now living at 358 Kingsland Road, Middlesex) obtained a £300 mortgage on the 2 properties from The Fourth City Mutual Benefit Building Society.   
1891 Census shows the house occupied by William Hall, Ironmonger, and his wife, mother-in-law and a 13 year old servant.
1893 In January, 2 Cambula Villas was renumbered by Richmond Council and was now known as No 12 The Vineyard. New Address in 1893
1894

The Fourth City Mutual Benefit Building Society obtained judgement in the High Court against Richardson and others for possession of Cambula House, Richmond. 

1894

The Fourth City Mutual Benefit Building Society assigned the lease of No 2 Cambula Villas to The Misses Barrat (Eliza & Hephzibah, spinsters) for £450.  

1900

The Borough Surveyor proposed an improvement plan for the Vineyard to widen the road by virtually halving the front gardens of 12 & 14 The Vineyard.  The plan shows a building on the adjoining Queen Elizabeth Almshouses land that would have to be demolished as it jutted out beyond the building line. It also shows No 16 on the opposite side of Halford Road which is now No 20. 

Road widening plan
1901

Census: 12 The Vineyard occupied by Eliza Barrat, 56, and Hephzibah Barrat, 51, both ‘living on own means’. 

1907

The Misses Barrat assigned the lease of 12 The Vineyard to Mr W A Bashford of 21 Eton St, Richmond, a schoolmaster for £320. 

1911

Census return shows William Alfred Bashord, 52 and his wife Augusta Lucy Bashford, 49 living at 21 Eton Street. They had been married 24 years but were childless.  William was Head Teacher of Richmond Education Authority. At "12A" The Vineyard, lived John Matthew Jones, a 43 year-old Dressmaking Manager, his wife and 2 daughters. (12A may have been the present no 12 since no separate record in the census for that)

1930

Augusta Lucy Bashford, widow of the retired schoolmaster William Alfred Bashford, assented in the vesting in herself of 12 (recently renumbered 16) The Vineyard. 

1946

The personal representatives of the late Augusta Lucy Bashford assented to the vesting of all her property in H F Wallington, retired Tennis Coach. 

1955

Abstract of the Title of The Governor of St Olav's & St Saviours grammar school foundation Bermondsey and Southwark to freehold property including most of Halford Road and 12 & 14 The Vineyard. All freehold land to be transferred to the Official Trustee of Charity Funds. 

`
1958

Order by the Minister of Education allowing St Olav's & St Saviours grammar school foundation to sell within one year the freehold interest in their properties. 

1958

Conveyance by The Official Trustee of Charity Funds of the freehold of 16 The Vineyard to H F Wallington Esq..  

1961

H F Wallington registered ownership of 16 The Vineyard in HM Land Registry. Value up to £3100 

 

Previous House
Next House
Navigation