The Vineyard, Richmond
  An Online History for residents, their families and friends

 

Present number/name

Pre-1936 number/name

Pre-1893 number/name

Vine House, 11

Vine House, 11
Vine Cottage, 13

Vine House
Vine Cottage

TIMELINE

Thumb 11

1771 Richardson Manor map shows the site to be owned by Late Michels Trust
1842 Driver map shows a wooden building where No 11 stands today and a brick cottage next door at No 13.
 1861 Census shows 2 Vineyard Villas; one occupied by Mary Webster, Fundholder, her son and 2 servants; the other by Henry Rigby, Toll Collector and his family.
1865 The OS map shows Vine House has been built.
 1871 Census: John Leing, Gardener, his wife, grandson and 2 lodgers. It is unclear whether they lived in no 11 or 13.
 1874  Wood: Heasler, George W.
 1881 Census: Vine House: George Heasler, Builder & Decorator emp 34 men, his wife, 2 children and a servant
Vine Cottage: Eliza Reed, Manglewoman and her 3 children
 1891  Census: Vine House: James Henry, lining on own means, his wife, niece, servant and a retired couple as boarders.
Vine Cottage: John Hall, gardener, his wife and 5 children
 1894

 John Holt Schooling, Fellow of the Royal Statistical Society and Associate of the Institute of Actuaries, gave this address in his book 'Handwriting and Expression, as a means of promoting his services as a Graphologist.

 Book Cover

Frontispiece

 Contact detail

 

 1899  Plan of alterations
 1901  Census: Philip Todd, his wife, sister, daughter, governess and 2 servants.
No 13 was unoccupied.
 1904 Kelly: Livesay Lieut-Col. Robert A. (late R.E.)
 1910-15

 Valuation Office Survey
No 11
Description: House, garden
Occupier: Miss Trevor
Owner: Clerk to Trustees of Michel's Charity
Interest of owner: Freehold
Occupier's tenancy: 3 years from 25/03/1909
Gross Value: £725
Notes: has right of way over no 13 for the carrying away of refuse

No 13
Description: House, garden
Occupier: G Ramsey
Owner: Clerk to Trustees of Michel's Charity
Interest of owner: Freehold
Subordinate interest: G.W.Heasler Verandah Cottage, Hill Rise (21 years from 25/03/1894
Occupier's tenancy: weekly
Notes: timber & tiled bungalow

 1911  Census: Vine House: Jessie Hensley, Lady resident (boarding house), 3 boarders and 1 servant.
Vine Cottage:  George Ramsey, house decorator, and his wife.
 1940s 13 occupied by a 'Hermit Lady' who was regularly taunted by the local children.
1952

Vine House and Vine Cottage in 1952

 

Photos shows Vine House and the cottage next door. Also the modern extension and garage at Newark house was not yet built.

 1952

13 - 21 The Vineyard looking West

 

 Here is another photo showing Vine Cottage at No 13 from the other side

 1955  Trustees of Michel Charity sold the freehold of both 11 and 13 together.
 1983

Grade II listed (original listing for no 13?):

2. Early to mid C19. Yellow brick and stucco. Two storeys with 2 single dormers in slated hipped mansard roof. Three bays wide, with channelled stucco ground storey. Recessed round headed entrance doorway with ornamental fanlight. Criss-cross balcony railings to first floor windows. Square headed sash windows. Central first floor blind window.

 

Previous House
Next House
Navigation