The Vineyard, Richmond
  An Online History for residents, their families and friends

 

 Present number/name

Pre-1936 number/name

Pre-1893 number/name 

The Vineyard Church

 Congregational Church

 Congregational Church

 TIMELINE

  The Vineyard Church 

 1828

Thomas Wilson bought the freehold of a small plot of land on the side of Richmond Hill for £500 for the purpose of building a church for the local nonconformists.

1830

The chapel, with a gallery, was designed by John Davies (1796-1865), to seat a congregation of 500-600. He was a well-known architect who built up a significant practice in work for several denominations.

1851

Building destroyed by fire

1853

The chapel was re-opened.

1858

The Richmond British School started life in a room under the lecture hall before being built at No 40 The Vineyard, where the new school was opened in 1867.

 1865

 Whibleys: Congregational Chapel British Schools - Healey T, master; Healey Mrs, mistress.

 

 

1871

The church was extended by some twenty feet to its present size with an apse at the north end. Congregational Church 1913

1877

Vincent van Gogh, the artist, may have preached here. He certainly did so at the Methodist Church in Kew Road.

1940s

Harold Wilson and his wife, Mary, lived in Richmond during the early forties and worshipped here. He became Prime Minister in 1960/70

1948-56

Lady Stansgate was a church member. She was the mother of Tony Benn, the Labour cabinet minister.

1972

Tony Blair, Prime Minister 1997-2007 lived in Richmond during his 'gap' year before going up to Oxford. He used the church basement, 'The Vineyard Hall', to organise pop groups and discos.

 

 

Next House

 

Navigation