The Vineyard, Richmond
  An Online History for residents, their families and friends

 
   Present number/name Pre-1936 number / name  Pre-1893 number/name  

 Vineyard House, 26

Vineyard House, 22

Vineyard House

 TIMELINE

 Vineyard House

   Vineyard House

c.1710

Built

 1726-1749

First ratepayer listed as Christopher Bacon (For list of rate payers see here)

 1771

Freehold Owner: Hon Thomas Lessley

Between 1771-1863

Porch and wing added.

 1841

 Census: John Roberts and his family.

 1851

 Census shows John Roberts running a school for 9 pupils including 2 children of his own

 1861

 Census: House empty

 1865

Whibleys: Tauseman W.C., 2 Dawson Mrs

 1871

Census: Sidney Smith, wine merchant, his wife and 2 servants

 1881

 Census: Agnes White, widow, 2 children, 3 servants.

1890

part of garden sold to build Salcombe Villas.

 1891

 Plan of proposed cottages on the Vineyard House Estate

 1891

 Census: House unoccupied

 1901

 Census: Jane Lawton Tate, 2 children, 1 grand-child and a servant.

 1904

Kelly: Mrs R.C. Tate  

 1910-15

 Valuation Office Survey

Description: House, garden,
Occupier: Mrs J.L. Tate
Owner: Mrs J.L. Tate
Interest of owner: Leasehold
Superior interest: Seamans Hospital Soc
Occupier's tenancy: 99 years
Gross Value: £740

 1911

Census: Jane Lawton Tate, 81, widow; her son, Leonard George Tate, 45, a Structural Engineer; Mabel Catherine Collyer, 26, companion and Louisa Field, 49, a servant 

1968

Listed Grade II:

Early C18. Brown brick with red dressings. Three storeys, 2 windows wide with
panelled aprons below upper floor windows. Cornice and blocking course.

Wrought-iron C18 gate and frame set between square brick piers with stone caps and
orbs, brick garden wall.

 

Vineyard House in 1959

Vineyard House in 1998

 

Previous House
Next House
Navigation